Under designated direction performs a variety of repairs and maintenance on college property and equipment work, to maintain their appearance and condition. The primary and most important overall responsibility of all is to provide service in a pleasant, helpful and effective manner to students, staff and other members of the college community.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Be able to follow oral and written instructions.
• Maintains buildings, equipment and vehicles; to assure that the outside appearance, safety, and serviceability is in compliance with recommended policies and standards, including recordkeeping.
• Required to operate vehicles for snow removal and for the transportation of employees and materials.
• Operate and maintain all grounds equipment, hand and power tools.
• Under supervision maybe required to perform carpentry, masonry, electrical, plumbing, and/or painting functions requiring a skill level and responsibility characteristic of a lower level (apprentice level).
• Maintains, repairs and replaces interior outside lighting fixtures and lamps to assure proper illumination for safety and security reasons.
• Under supervision performs mechanical repair and preventive maintenance to HVAC equipment.
• Assembles equipment/furniture using simple hand tools.
• Reports any problems back to the Facilities Manager and/or Director of any building/grounds condition requiring immediate action.
• Performs general clean-up work in and out doors using hand and power tools.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
• Three (3) years progressive responsible general experience in the construction trades of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC or automotive repair, preferred.
• CDL license preferred with excellent driving record.
Competencies and Skills Required
• Valid NJ Driver’s License.
• Must attend and pass a Driver’s Education Course within three (3) months of hiring; attend and obtain a CDL license within one year of date of hire.
• Must possess a valid Black Seal Stationary Engineer License or must obtain a license within one year of date of hire.
• Required to submit to a pre-employment drug screening and background check.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Works inside and outside and is dirty and greasy. May work outside in inclement weather and may be exposed to extreme temperatures.
• Exposed to dirt and disagreeable odors, and possible skin irritations from cleaning chemicals and solutions. Occasional exposure to the possibility of cuts, scrapes, bruises, and infections.
• Physical effort required. Frequently handles, lifts, carries, and sets up tools, parts, equipment, and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
• May be required to work from ladders and scaffolds and where items worked on are in hard to reach places. Care is required when working from ladders or lifting heavy equipment to prevent injury.
• Standing, stooping, bending, and kneeling. May work in uncomfortable positions.
• Some travel required.
Union County College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, handicap or other legally protected status in its provision of employment, education, and activities, or other services.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
============== Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons. ==============
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes twenty medical plans to choose from including PPO, HMO and HD plans offered by BC/BS and Aetna, three dental plans including two PPOs and one DMO offered by Delta Dental of NJ, and a pension plan with seven investment carriers. We also offer twenty vacation days, ten paid holidays, and a ten week summer work schedule which allows the college to close on Fridays. Other additional benefits include gym privileges, tuition remission for credit and non-credit courses at Union County College, and tuition reimbursement for an approved degree program at an accredited college or university.
Terms of Employment
Full Time. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Though assigned to a primary campus, the ability and willingness to travel on short notice and work at all campuses as needed. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
About this company
As the oldest community college in New Jersey, UCC has been serving both career-minded and transfer-oriented students since 1933. The College has maintained its commitment to scholarship by providing a solid liberal arts foundation while, at the same time, developing new programs and courses that meet the challenges of a rapidly developing society.
UCC is focused on ensuring that our programs and facilities are equipped to prepare students for the intellectual and technological demands of the 21st century. All four UCC campuses boast advanced data and voice infrastructures that can support the latest in computer hardware and software. All credit students are offered their own college e-mail accounts through which they can communicate with UCC's outstanding faculty, fellow students, and the vast world of knowledge and information available through the World Wide Web. Distance learning opportunities, such as courses by videotape, are increasing with each semester.
Even more important, UCC has a reputation for providing its diverse student body with a nurturing and supportive environment. Student services from counseling and financial aid to the tutoring provided by the Academic Learning Centers on each campus are in place to ensure student success.
For those wishing to pursue a bachelors degree, the economics of spending the first two years at Union County College coupled with the dual admissions and transfer /articulation agreements that the College has in place, can ease the road to junior year status at a long list of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. While here, students have the chance to participate in a range of activities. These include a five-star chapter of the honor society of Phi Theta Kappa, an award-winning student newspaper, a modern fitness center, and a range of athletic programs. In 1998, the UCC Owls and Lady Owls were the first teams from one college to become the Men's and Women's Garden State Athletic Conference Basketball Champions in the same year.
Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult returning to school after a hiatus, an employee seeking additional training or a new career, Union County College can be your . . . access to the 21st century!
Location/Region: Cranford, NJ