The Assistant Editor will provide essential editorial and administrative support to the Publisher of a new imprint with a diverse list of commercial books, ranging from narrative nonfiction, current events, history, and empowerment, that are dedicated to uplifting BIPOC voices and social justice topics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Correspond directly with authors, collaborators and agents.
- Read and report on manuscripts, proposals and books submitted for publication.
- Edit manuscripts and manage books through the copyediting, design, and production process.
- Serve as the liaison and advocate for authors’ titles; work with contracts, publicity, design, sales, and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort.
- Prepare materials such as acquisition memos, profit and loss statements, title fact sheets, jacket copy, etc.
- Coordinate reprints and paperbacks, and update metadata for backlist.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 2 years editorial experience
- B.A. preferred
- Must be passionate about diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Knowledge of current events and pop culture in the BIPOC community are a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of social causes related to gender, race and multicultural topics
- Self-starter with the ability to deliver timely, accurate work and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $44,000-$50,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.
Location/Region: New York, NY