NJ.com is seeking a talented, experienced Data Reporter to lead a team of like-minded journalists.
You'll join an award-winning group that has a track record of stories that make change and show New Jersey life in a different way. We've written day-to-day data news, used tools to connect readers to their towns, visualized complex stories and created databases to investigate abuses of power in New Jersey.
This position is part of the data and investigations team. You'll oversee several reporters and be part of the hiring process for open positions.
You'll also be the go-to person for data training and education for the newsroom. (We want every reporter to have some level of data literacy.)
More than anything, you'll be a person who wants to build relationships inside and outside the newsroom.
* Run a team of reporters as part of the data and investigations team.
* Chase down and analyze a wide variety of easy- and hard-to-get data sets.
* Serve as a backstop and coach for all data work in the office.
* Create custom graphics and news apps and help your team members do the same.
* Write and edit long-term projects as well as stories that use data to deepen our daily coverage.
* Build a system to encourage best practices and standardize systems and styles.
* Unsurpassed attention to detail.
* Team player who thrives on collaboration.
* Unwavering dedication to finding information the government and others don't want you to see.
* Great at juggling long-term projects while also reacting to breaking news.
* Well-established relationships within the data journalism community.
This role is based in Woodbridge, New Jersey, and reports to the senior managing producer of data and investigations.
Worried you don't meet every bullet point? Apply anyway. We're open to hearing from anyone who thinks she or he has what it takes to run a successful data team.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that's most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
Location/Region: Iselin, NJ (08830)